Information Overload, described as “an excess of information that results in an inability to concentrate on tasks and stay focused,” is a massive problem in the 21st Century, costing an estimated $900 Billion dollars each year in the USA alone.
Every day, people are confronted by vast amounts of new information flowing towards them from a multitude of sources. Almost everyone feels overwhelmed at some point when trying to absorb, understand and apply this new information. The impact on individuals varies from simple time wasting to serious health problems, while for organisations the effect is compounded into a massive loss of productivity.
The key to sustainable high performance is to be strategic with your time and develop deliberate habits that constantly move you towards your goals.
Here’s an overview of the Ten Tips and Tools to help you Manage Information Overload:
- Visualise where you want to be
- Reduce multi-tasking
- Create knowledge files
- Improve your reading skills
- Only check email twice a day, use filters and folders
- Use mind maps to take and make notes
- Be more effective in meetings
- Improve your memory
- Embrace iBrain technologies to increase digital literacy
- Be strategic with social networking